Photobucket

Monday, May 14, 2007

PART III: The future is friendly..?

The future.. Do we care?
What's left once I'm gone?
Well, I want to suggest that the people before us never asked that question. Perhaps it never crossed their minds.
Now we suffer the consequences...
and continually screw over generations to come.
And now I'm going to suggest something that may come as a shock to some of you... Pollution and global warming/climate change are NOT our biggest concerns right now!
Don't get me wrong.. I love trees and I enjoy breathing and if we can minimize the pollution then that's awesome.
But it's a surface issue
First, maybe we need to learn how to love.
Throughout my life, I have met many people (I'm sure you have too)... many people who seem to have it all together, but after getting to know them, I find that there is something missing and that is love.
Sure, most people say they know how to love or they say that they "feel" love... so I want to look at love and the best definition that I've ever found. (If you look at the greek, this is a definition of agape love which is the love of self-sacrifice. Probably the most "true" definition of love)

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8a
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.

The Qualities of Love.. here they are:
-Patience (let's face it, we could all use more of that) :P
-Kindness
-Protection (not in a sexual way.. I could write a whole note on that one all on its own, but I'll leave that for another day)
-Trust
-Hope
-Perseverance
-Rejoicing with Truth

The Un-Qualities of Love.. here they are not:
-Envy
-Boastfulness
-Pride
-Rudeness.. haha is that a word?
-Selfishness
-Anger
-Keeping records of wrongs.. also known as "holding grudges" and let's face it, who isn't guilty of this?
-Delighting in Evil

Seem simple? If it does.. read it again. Some of those points could really use some more depth and explaination, but maybe I'll get into that on a different day.
For now, I want to challenge you.. hmm weird, I never thought I would say that... but I want to challenge you to Love! Love your friends, love your enemies, love your family, love the people you don't even know!
Or, maybe pick one thing from the list and focus on it for the next couple weeks. We don't all struggle with all of them, but I think everyone has trouble with at least one of them.
That being said, let's band together and make this world a better place.. now and forever. It's not too late... Persevere! :)
-Emily


Does Anybody Hear Her?
by Casting Crowns

She is running
A hundred miles an hour in the wrong direction
She is trying
But the canyon's ever widening
In the depths of her cold heart
So she sets out on another misadventure just to find
She's another two years older
And she's three more steps behind

Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?
Or does anybody even know she's going down today
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me
Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?

She is yearning
For shelter and affection
That she never found at home
She is searching
For a hero to ride in
To ride in and save the day
And in walks her prince charming
And he knows just what to say
Momentary lapse of reason
And she gives herself away

Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?
Or does anybody even know she's going down today
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me
Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?

If judgment looms under every steeple
If lofty glances from lofty people
Can't see past her scarlet letter
And we never even met her

If judgment looms under every steeple
If lofty glances from lofty people
Can't see past her scarlet letter
And we never even met her

Never even met her

Does anybody hear her? Does anybody see?
Or does anybody even knows she's going down today
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me

Does anybody hear her? Does anybody see?
Does anybody even know she's going down today?
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me
Does anybody hear her? Does anybody see?

He is running a hundred miles an hour in the wrong direction..

No comments: