Photobucket

Sunday, May 27, 2007

PART IV: LOVE

Ya.. that's it. Just Love. And only because I feel like all my notes end up talking about Love... I can't cover this word in one note, but I'll give a brief synopsis anyway. Enjoy.
So, before I get too involved in this, I'm going to step back.. way back...
We're going to talk a bit about the origin of the word... and why I, personally, hate the word Love.
Love.. well, the word came from the German, Russion, and Latin words for "pleasure"... but for some reason, odd as it may seem, when Greek manuscripts were being translated into English, the word "Love" was used in place of 4 (sometimes 5) different words.
Confusing? kinda.. I'd love to end this here and say that our language is stupid.. good night and good luck. However, you would hate me for doing that, so I'll continue.
English has one word.. Greek has 4 (or sometimes 5).. how the hell did
this happen? Honestly, probably the biggest mistake of the English language.. EVER!
I have never in my life discovered a more loaded word than the word Love.. and it's no wonder! So here's the Greek:

-Eros.. if you have heard the word "erotic" then this should be fairly self-explainatory.. romance, sex, blah blah blah... all that stuff.

-Philia.. ever heard of Philadelphia? The city of BROTHERLY LOVE... ya that's about it.. The kind of love with which you love your friends, family.. it's a nice kind of love.

-Storge.. this one's not used often. It has to do with natural affection.. like parents loving their children. that kinda thing.

-Thelo (sometimes this is replaced with the word love.. not always).. it's more accurately translated as "desire"

-Agape.. Believe it or not, this is the only word that is correctly translated as "love"!.. and it's a killer. Sometimes literally.. yikes.. It's known as self-sacrificial love. This word was used most commonly in the New Testement of the bible.. God's love for us is agape.. "Greater Love has no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends"

So why do I hate the word Love? Well.. mostly because it has been washed out to translate all these words... Love is most commonly defined now as an emotion.. :S If that's the case, it's no wonder so many people hate love, love love, are confused by love.. Love in it's purest form is NOT an emotion. (feel free to argue with me.. I will bring you down. good luck.)

And now, since I really can't say much more because this is getting long. . I will leave you with my favourite definition of Love.. You've heard it before, an you're about to hear it again..

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. "

Next time.. I'm ripping that apart jus for fun.. so.. more thoughts on love tomorrow.. or sometime when I have the time and energy.

Out!
-Emily

No comments: