Photobucket

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

PETER PAN, TREES & THE COMFORT OF BOXES

The more I think about it, the more I fall in love with Peter Pan..
Not so much Peter Pan himself, but just the whole idea of Neverland.
I think it's absolutely brilliant and this is why.
Not because I'm condoning immaturity,
And I have no problem with death,
And it's really not because of responsibility either... I can handle responsibility (and sometimes I even like it!)
But I think that there is something about kids that we all lose. Our creativity, our imagination, our love for life, our lack of concern for what other people think.
For the most part, it's trained out of us by teachers, parents, society, classmates, older siblings...
I once asked a group of my friends to draw pictures of trees.
I noticed that the first thing they did after they started drawing, was to comment on eachother's work and criticize their own work. Then they'd adjust their trees to look as similar to the best tree as they possibly could.
(My friends are getting used to my social experiments so it's ok....) :P
Quite a bit longer ago (is that grammatically correct??) I asked a group of 5 & 6 year olds at my church to draw pictures of trees. They all looked entirely different.. Not only that, but they prided themselves on their uniqueness!
The Most Beautiful Christmas Tree I've Ever Seen!

What a strange concept...
Okay, so as teenagers, we'd all like to think that we're "individuals" , that we're "unique" and that we don't "submit to peer pressure"
I'll believe it when I see it.
It seems that it's right around highschool when people start trying to "find themselves" and discover who "they really are", so what I don't understand is, why would they join a stereotype?
Let's face it, we all feel more comfortable in boxes.
We put everything in boxes. It keeps things organized.
Music is boxed by genres (so are movies), Clothes are boxed by "styles", Books are boxed by literary types, and so on and so forth.
That being said,
We all want to fit in a box because, let's face it, standing alone isn't much fun.
So, I dare you to get out of your box. Be who you were when you were 5 years old.
When you comment on this note, I want to hear about stereotypes.. but not just any stereotypes. Tell me where you fit in. What's your box?? Do you like it?
And remember, we're not all the same. If we were, half of us would be useless.

-Emily

No comments: